Health and Safety
“It Starts With Me” is a set of beliefs, principles and guidelines for Environment, Health and Safety (EHS) at Maxxam. The concept of safety starting with each Maxxam employee was developed from our own guiding principles as well the underlying philosophy of the occupational health and safety legislation in all Canadian jurisdictions, the Internal Responsibility System (IRS). The IRS principle is that everyone in the workplace – both employees and employers – is responsible for his or her own safety and for the safety of co-workers.
“It Starts With Me” has become the overall guide for safety expectations and standards at Maxxam and reinforces performance, acceptance, ethics and values. Corporately we are committed to actions that will continuously improve and promote employee health, safety and environmental protection. With all employees working together as a team and following the IRS we can accomplish the goal of all Maxxam personnel going home safe every day. The goals of the program are to:
- Comply with all applicable government regulations, guidelines, industry standards, company and client policies;
- Manage EHS risks so as to protect our employees, contractors, visitors, property and the environment from harm;
- Be proactive in the prevention of all incidents;
- Ensure that every employee understands the extent of their individual responsibility in protecting themselves, others and the environment;
- Hold every employee accountable for the programs maintenance, development and improvement;
- Communicate in a timely manner all EHS concerns; and
- Be measured, audited and evaluated as to its effectiveness.