Environmental Research & Development Group
The mandate of the Environmental R&D Group is to tackle challenges facing our customers, and to embrace opportunities for enhancing sampling and analysis technologies.
Maxxam’s R&D initiatives focus on:
• Increasing analytical sensitivity
• Reducing time and costs for field work
• Improving overall site characterization
These initiatives enhance decision-making processes for environmental practitioners. The R&D Group is committed to working together with clients, regulators, customer service and business development staff at Maxxam to identify R&D needs in the pursuit of new and improved methodologies. This group of dedicated environmental scientific specialists in the Maxxam network of labs is currently working on new and exciting projects in partnership with our clients, universities, provincial and national regulators.
The group is led by Dr. Taras (Terry) Obal.
ACTIVE RESEARCH PROJECTS
- New SPME options for water analysis
- Petrogenic vs. phytogenic PHC analysis in soils
Industry & Government Collaborations:
- Passive water sampling for metals, PAHs, dioxins and furans
- Analysis of geosmin and MIB in fish tissue and water
- Water treatment processes for PFOS and PFOA
- Hydrocarbon forensics – petroleum biomarker analysis
- Streamlining analysis options for pesticides in water & soil
- Development and optimization of LC/MS/MS methods for emerging compounds of concern (PFC/NA/EDC)
RECENTLY COMPLETED PROJECTS
- Large Volume Injection for Improved Alkylated PAH Determination
- LC Method Development for Elemental Sulphur in Alberta Soils
- Characterizing polyacrylamide & degradation products in water
Assessment of petroleum hydrocarbon bioavailability in soil
- Comparative study of adsorption of PFOS/PFOA by different adsorbents in water
For more information on our R&D team and their initiatives, please contact Heather Lord, Manager, Environmental R&D Group.