Equine Sport Testing
Veterinary pre-purchase drug analysis
There are a number of drugs and medications on the market that can be used to mask ailments, and such testing can therefore complement a medical examination. Maxxam offers blood screening for non-steroidal anti-inflammatories (NSAID), corticosteroids and tranquilizers to potential purchasers to help ensure that animals are healthy and drug free.
Method Development & Validation
Maxxam’s forensic equine drug research laboratory undertakes projects involving method development for new drugs, method transfer from other laboratories, drug metabolism studies and analysis of equine blood and urine to produce data for elimination studies. Staff works closely with chemists in the racetrack drug testing laboratory to ensure that the latest methods are employed for routine analysis.
Maxxam’s Equine Forensic Drug Analysis Department is known internationally for its expertise in drug detection, confirmation and research. Each year, the laboratory screens over 55,000 blood and urine samples for prohibited substances and provides forensic drug analysis services for
- Horse racing and horse show events
- Veterinary pre-purchase drug analysis
- Method development and validation
- Equine drug elimination studies
- Equine metabolism studies
The forensic drug analysis laboratory uses state-of-the-art technology such as
- Thin-layer chromatography (TLC)
- Gas chromatography (GC)
- High-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC)
- Enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA)
- Gas chromatography/ mass spectrometry (GC/ MS) and
- Triple-quad high performance liquid chromatography/ mass spectrometry (HPLC/ MS/ MS).
The department operates under stringent Quality Assurance and Maxxam’s Official Racing Chemists are available to appear in court to provide expert testimony.