Veterinary Pre-Purchase Drug Analysis
There are a number of drugs and medications on the market that can be used to mask pre-existing conditions and ailments. Pre-purchase drug screening complements the medical examination given to the horse prior to the sale. Maxxam’s pre-purchase drug analysis test targets both veterinary medications and prohibited drugs that could be present in the animal’s body.
Maxxam offers blood screening for non-steroidal anti-inflammatories (NSAIDs), corticosteroids and tranquilizers to potential purchasers to help ensure that animals are healthy and drug free.
If you are ready to proceed, please download the requisition form by clicking here.
The minimum sample volume for pre-purchase drug analysis are:
- Whole blood: 10 mL
- Serum or Plasma: 5 mL
Preferred VACUTAINER® tubes for blood collection are:
- Green-Top Tube (Sodium Heparin)
- Lavender-Top Tube (EDTA)
VACUTAINER® for serum collection:
- Red-Top Tube (Contains no anticoagulant)
NOTE: Maxxam requires credit card payment or pre-authorized credit approval prior to sample submission. Please contact us at FEDT@maxxam.ca or call 604-638-3251 to receive a credit application form.
Screening is conducted using Liquid Chromatography Tandem Mass Spectrometry (LC/MS/MS) and includes the following drugs:
NSAIDs: Carprofen, Diclofenac, Fenoprofen, Flufenamic acid, Flunixin, Flurbiprofen, Ibuprofen, Indomethacin, Ketoprofen, Meclofenamic acid, Mefenamic acid, Naproxen, Phenylbutazone, Tolfenamic acid, Vedaprofen.
Corticosteroids: Betamethasone, Dexamethasone, Flumethasone, Isoflupredone, Prednisolone, Prednisone.
- Reserpine, Detomidine, Xylazine, Acepromazine
- Amobarbital, Butabarbital, Heptabarbital, Mephobarbital, Phenobarbital, Pentobarbital, Secobarbital, Thiopental.
- Alprazolam, Bromazepan, Brotizolam, Chlorazepate, Chlordiazepoxide, Clonazepam, Doxapram, Diazepam, Flunitrazepam, Flurazepam, Halazepam, Lorazepam, Midazolam, Nordiazepam, Oxazepam, Temazepam, Triazolam.
- Amitriptyline, Chlorpromazine, Clomipramine, Fluphenazine, Imipramine, Perphenazine, Promazine, Propionylpromazine, Protriptyline, Trifluoperazine.
If you are interested in testing other classes of drugs or one drug in particular, please contact the laboratory manager, at 604-638-3251.